Prostate Cancer Treatment Options
Topics in This Section
Connect with a cancer education specialist for answers to your cancer-related questions.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
is to help you recover
normal physical functions
to your everyday activities
at home and at work.
More about Rehabilitation»
At Fox Chase Cancer Center, not only do our physicians specialize in treating cancer--they are experts in specific cancers. Our doctors treat thousands of prostate cancer patients each year, including men with stage IV or advanced cancer. In addition to a wide-range of treatment options, patients can participate in prostate cancer clinical trials evaluating tomorrow's treatments - today.
Individually Tailored Treatment Planning at Fox Chase
Your treatment choice will be tailored based on your cancer stage, lifestyle and medical condition. Our in-house team of cardiologists, pulmonologists and internists will work with your oncologist to manage any pre-existing or new medical conditions that may arise during the course of treatment.
- Radiation - Whether your treatment choice is IMRT or brachytherapy, Fox Chase offers the nation's most experienced team of radiation oncologists who pioneered the state-of-the-art treatments available today.
- Surgery - Our highly skilled surgeons specialize in minimally-invasive, or laparoscopic, nerve-sparing procedures. We also offer "open" nerve-sparing surgery.
- Chemotherapy - Our medical oncologists work closely with the surgeons and radiation oncologists to provide specialized care for men needing chemotherapy.
- Hormone therapy - Most prostate cancers depend on the hormone testosterone to grow. Hormone therapy reduces the levels of testosterone to stop the cancer from growing or spreading.
- Active Surveillance - (Sometimes called "Watchful Waiting") Observation and follow-up testing may be appropriate for some men with other health conditions or when side effects of treatment outweigh the benefits.