Nurse Extern Program FAQs
Topics in This Section
See a Video:
Nursing at Fox Chase
What Makes Fox Chase Unique
Read more »
Print the Reference FormWho is eligible for the program?
Download the printable version of the reference form.
Students entering their senior year of a BSN program are eligible to apply for the Extern Program.
- When do you apply?
Applications will be accepted from January 20th until March 1st for the June 2014 Program.
- How do you apply?
- An application packet including all of the following components must be mailed to Deena Dell, MSN, RN-BC, AOCN, LNC, Clinical Nurse Specialist (see 12, below):
- professional resume
- two professional letters of reference:
- recent medical-surgical instructor REQUIRED. This reference must be on the form available at: http://www.fccc.edu/careers/nursing/graduate
- additional clinical instructor, employer reference, or professional affiliate (this reference may be narrative or use the same form)
- copy of your transcript, including your most recent grades
- Do you have pediatrics?
No, Fox Chase Cancer Center is an all adult oncology population.
- When does the program start?
It will begin on Tuesday, June 10, 2014.
- How long is it?
The program length is 8 weeks.
- What will my schedule be like?
You will follow your preceptor's schedule, which may include 8 or 12-hour shifts, weekends and some rotation. The focus for externs is predominantly day shift but rotation exposes the student to all aspects of patient care.
- What specialty areas are available?
Observation days are available in the Operating Room, PACU (Post-Anesthesia Care Unit), Endoscopy, Interventional Radiology, Radiation Therapy, Infusion Room, and Intensive Care. Occasionally an extern may be hired for an externship in the Intensive Care Unit.
- What is the salary?
This is an unpaid externship. We believe the clinical skills you will acquire working side by side with an experienced oncology nurse will enhance your career. We are giving you a chance to experience the clinical setting without the stress of school.
- What educational opportunities are available?
Externs have a weekly conference on oncology topics presented by a Fox Chase Cancer Center expert. These interactive learning experiences provide an opportunity for the student to integrate recent clinical experiences and the knowledge of an oncology expert.
- May I continue working during the school year?
If there are open positions and your nurse manager approves, you may apply for a CNA position.
- Who is the contact person if I have questions about applying for the program?
Deena Dell, MSN, RN-BC, AOCN, LNC, Clinical Nurse Specialist
Coordinator, Continuing Nursing Education and Staff Development
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111