FCCC Program Consulting
Share the Fox Chase team's experience.
Read more »
A Century of Excellence
Discover the history of one of the nation's first cancer hospitals.
Read more »
Paul F. Engstrom, MD
Professor & Interim Chairman, Department of Medical Oncology
The Samuel M.V. Hamilton Chair in Cancer Prevention
Chief Network Officer Emeritus
Dr. Engstrom is a medical oncologist specializing in the treatment of gastrointestinal malignancies, especially neuroendocrine tumors and colon-rectum cancer management. In his leadership role at Fox Chase, he is very involved in cancer research, specifically prevention and survivorship issues. He also served as the medical director and chief network officer for Fox Chase Cancer Partners for 25 years.
BA, St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN
Doctor of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN
Graduate School, University of Minnesota Graduate School, Minneapolis, MN
National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Colorectal-Anal Cancer Guidelines Panel, Chair
NCCN Neuroendocrine Malignancy Panel and Senior Adult Oncology Task Force
American Association for Cancer Research
American Society of Clinical Oncology
The American Society for Clinical Investigation
Association of American Cancer Institutes
American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology
Blue Key Honorary Leadership Society
Alpha Omega Alpha
American Cancer Society, Philadelphia Division, Cancer Control Award
American Cancer Society, Distinguished Service Award
Dr. Engstrom's research interests include biomarkers research, cancer prevention and control interventions and behavioral medicine interventions.
Selected Recent Publicatoins
- Engstrom PF, Benson AB3rd, Chen YJ, Choti MA, Dilawari RA, Enke CA, Fakih MG, Fuchs C, Kiel K, Knol JA, Leong LA, Ludwig KA, Martin EW Jr., Rao S, Saif MW, Saltz L, Skibber JM, Venock AP, Yeatman TJ. Anal canal cancer clinical practice guidelines in oncology. JNCCN 3:510-15, 2005.
- Engstrom PF. Progress in chemoprevention: AACR Task Force Report. Clin. Cancer Res 12:3645, 2006.
- Schnoll RA, Engstrom PF, Subramanian S, Demidov L, Wielt DB, Tighiouart M. Prevalence and correlates of tobacco use among Russian cancer patients: Implications for the development of smoking cessation interventions at a cancer center in Russia. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine 1391):16-25, 2006.
- Schnoll RA, Engstrom PF, Subramanian S, Demidov L, Wielt DB. Smoking cessation counseling by Russian oncologists: opportunities for intervention in the Russian federation. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine 13(1):8-15, 2006.
- Engstrom PF, Arnoletti JP, Benson AB III, Chen YJ, Choti MA, Cooper HS, Dilawari RA, Early DS, Fakih MG, Fuchs C, Grem JL, Kiel K, Knol JA, Leong LA, Ludwig KA, Martin EW Jr, Rao S, Saltz L, Shibata D, Skibber JM, Venook AP. Colon cancer. JNCCN 5:884-925, 2007.
- Cohen SJ, Engstrom PF, Lewis NL, Langer CJ, McLaughlin S, Beard M, Weiner L, Meropol N. Phase I study of capecitabine and oxaliplatin in combination with the proteasome inhibitor bortezomib in patients with advanced solid tumors. Am J Clin Onc Feb;31(1):1-5, 2008.
- Engstrom PF. Systemic Therapy for Advanced or Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: National Comprehensive Cancer Network Guidelines for Combining Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor and anti-Epidermal Growth factor Receptor Monoclonal Antibodies with Chemotherapy. Pharmacotherapy Nov;28:18S-22S,2008.
- Engstrom PF, Meyskens FL. Cancer Prevention Strategies. In Principles and Practice of Gynecologic Oncology, Fourth Edition. Hoskins, Perez, Young, Barakat, Markman, Randall (Eds.), Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, pp. 179-197, 2005.
- Engstrom PF, Clapper, ML, Schnoll RA. Prevention of Tobacco-Related Cancers. In: Cancer Medicine, 7th Edition (Holland, Frei, et al. eds.), BC Decker, Inc., Hamilton, Ontario, pp. 354-362, 2006.
- Engstrom PF, Sigurdson ER, Evans AA, Lewis N. Primary Neoplasms of the Liver. In: Cancer Medicine, 7th Edition (Holland, Frei, et al. eds.), BC Decker, Inc., Hamilton, Ontario, pp. 1291-1301, 2006.
- Engstrom PF, Goosenberg EB. Diagnosis and Management of Bowel Disease, Third Edition. Professional Communications, Inc., 2007.
- Engstrom PF. Colorectal Cancer Management: Evolving Recommendations. JNCCN 5(9):859, 2007.
- Engstrom PF. Commentary. Discussing Colorectal Cancer, JNCCN 7(8):695, 2009.
- Engstrom PF. Editorial: The Power of International Partnerships and Cancer Research. Oncology Times 31(17):