News &
Publications

Contacts

Lisa Bailey
Interim Director of Communications
Director of Social Networking
215-214-3954
215-872-5846 (cell phone)
Lisa.Bailey@fccc.edu

Diana Quattrone
Director of Media Relations
215-728-7784
215-815-7828 (cell phone)
Diana.Quattrone@fccc.edu

Communications Staff

 

News

Fox Chase Cancer Center Offers Free Screening for Breast Cancer, by Appointment Only

PHILADELPHIA (June 1, 2000) -- Women 40 and older who are uninsured or underinsured can call Fox Chase Cancer Center to schedule a free physical breast exam and a free mammogram.

The free breast cancer screening will take place by appointment only on Thursday, June 29 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Calls to make an appointment will not be accepted before June 12. The exam and mammogram will be done in the same appointment. Only women who have never been diagnosed with cancer are eligible for this free program, sponsored by the American Cancer Society.

To schedule an appointment, call Pat Stanley at 215-728-3622 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Since free appointment times are limited, please check your health insurance coverage before calling. Many health plans cover screening mammograms. Medicare covers 80 percent of charges for a yearly screening mammogram (the woman is responsible for paying the remaining 20 percent).

Fox Chase Cancer Center, one of the nation's first comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute in 1974, conducts basic and clinical research; programs of prevention, detection and treatment of cancer; and community outreach. For more information about Fox Chase activities, visit the Center's web site at: www.fccc.edu.


Fox Chase Cancer Center, part of the Temple University Health System, is one of the leading cancer research and treatment centers in the United States. Founded in 1904 in Philadelphia as one of the nation’s first cancer hospitals, Fox Chase was also among the first institutions to be designated a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Center in 1974. Fox Chase researchers have won the highest awards in their fields, including two Nobel Prizes. Fox Chase physicians are also routinely recognized in national rankings, and the Center’s nursing program has received the Magnet recognition for excellence four consecutive times. Today, Fox Chase conducts a broad array of nationally competitive basic, translational, and clinical research, with special programs in cancer prevention, detection, survivorship, and community outreach.  For more information, call 1-888-FOX CHASE or (1-888-369-2427).

Media inquiries only, please contact Diana Quattrone at 215-728-7784.

More 2000 News Releases »