Meeting My Team
Topics in This Section
Patient and Family Support
Find the help you need beyond medical treatment.
Read more »
Resources for Travel and Lodging
Lodging and travel information for patients and international visitors.
Read more »
- The attending physician is responsible for planning your individual cancer care.
- A fellow is a physician who has completed one- or two-years of additional training to gain additional experience and education in surgery, internal medicine, or radiation oncology. Most Fox Chase physicians are fellowship-trained.
- A resident is a physician who is completing training in internal medicine, surgery or radiation oncology.
- A nurse navigator is a registered nurse assigned to guide patients through the treatment process, from first appointment to discharge.
- A nurse practitioner is a registered nurse with a master’s degree who practices with a collaborating physician.
- A physician’s assistant practices medicine under the supervision of physicians and surgeons.
During your first patient visit, you will meet your Fox Chase attending physician and a fellow or resident physician. Your attending physician — a medical, radiation or surgical oncologist — is responsible for evaluating you and supervising your care at Fox Chase. You may also see other physician specialists, a physician assistant or nurse practitioner as part of your Fox Chase treatment team.
As a leading comprehensive cancer center, Fox Chase offers a competitive clinical-training program for physicians beginning careers in a particular cancer-related specialty. Our fellows and residents provide valuable additions to our medical teams and work closely with the attending physicians to help plan and carry out your cancer treatment. A fellow is a physician who is completing advanced specialty training in medical, surgical or radiation oncology. A resident is a physician training in internal medicine, surgery or radiation oncology.
Our oncology nurses provide the highest level of clinical expertise and compassionate care. They are recognized nationally with the Magnet Nursing Services Award, the American Nurses Association's highest honor for nursing excellence.
Your Fox Chase team may also include a range of healthcare professionals such as nutritionists, physical therapists and social workers who work with your doctors and nurses to offer clinical and supportive services for you and your family.