Jeffrey L. Tokar, MD
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497
Colorectal Cancer Treatment at Fox Chase Cancer Center
(Feb 11, 2013)
Director, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Meet other members of the
gastrointestinal cancer treatment team.
American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Hepatology
Many people assume that Fox Chase Cancer Center's department of medical oncology is composed only of medical oncologists. They are often surprised to learn that Fox Chase has an active gastroenterology section with six board-certified gastroenterologists; each with our own areas of expertise and different training backgrounds.
Personally, during my gastroenterology and hepatology fellowship at the University of Virginia, I became interested in 'interventional and therapeutic endoscopy.' I completed an extra year of training to learn how to perform advanced endoscopic procedures. These years of training further enhanced my knowledge and skill set, enabling me to provide highly specialized, yet individualized, care to patients with a wide variety of complex gastrointestinal problems.
Fox Chase is an ideal environment for me to work for many reasons. The primary reason is that patients with cancerous or precancerous conditions often benefit from endoscopic procedures. For example, these procedures can not only help diagnose cancers, but they can help prevent or even cure certain forms of cancer (sometimes eliminating the need for patients to undergo more invasive surgical procedures).
Endoscopic procedures assist other healthcare providers (such as medical, surgical and radiation oncologists) in giving the highest quality of care they can to their patients. In some cases, we use endoscopy to reduce some of the symptoms and side effects of cancer and cancer treatment.
As a recognized center of expertise in high-end endoscopic procedures, we, at Fox Chase, have developed relationships with cutting-edge, innovative biotechnology companies. This often enables us to offer patients the newest endoscopic procedures that are frequently not available at other medical centers.
Finally, Fox Chase is a well-known academic cancer center with faculty members who are nationally and internationally recognized for their expertise in a wide range of clinical and research activities. Thus, Fox Chase fosters important collaborations among people who share my ultimate goal, which is to identify new and better ways to prevent, treat and cure cancer.
State University of New York at Syracuse School of Medicine, Syracuse, N.Y., 1997
Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Va.
Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Virginia Health System, Digestive Health Center of Excellence, Charlottesville, Va.;
Interventional Endoscopy, University of Virginia Health System, Digestive Health Center of Excellence, Charlottesville, Va.
Honors and Awards
Best Doctors in America® 2013, 2014
Pancreatic cysts; endoscopic oncology (endoscopic diagnosis, evaluation, treatment of gastrointestinal neoplasms); small bowel enteroscopy
- Tokar JL, Allen JI, Kochman ML. “Getting to Zero: Reducing the Risk for Duodenoscope-Related Infections”. Ann Intern Med. 2015. PMID 26390309
- Lieberman D, Brill J, Canto M, DeMarco D, Fennerty B, Gupta N, Laine L, Lightdale C, Montgomery E, Odze R, Rex D, Sharma P, Kochman M, Tokar J. “Management of Diminutive Colon Polyps Based on Endoluminal Imaging”. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015. PMID26192139.
- Tokar JL. Gastric Carcinoids: Ask-The-Expert, ASGE Connection, June 2015; 3(2):1-7.
- Wani S, Wallace MB, Pike IM, Adler DG, Kochman ML, Lieb JG 2nd, Park WG, Rizk ML, Sawhney MS, Shaheen NJ, Tokar JL. Quality indicators for EUS. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2015; 110(1):102-13.
- Chen KT, Kim PD, Jones KA, Devarajan K, Patel BB, Hoffman JP, Ehya H, Huang M, Watson JC, Tokar JL, Yeung AT. Potential prognostic biomarkers of pancreatic cancer. Pancreas. 2014 Jan;43(1):22-7. doi: 10.1097/MPA.0b013e3182a6867e
- Konda V, Banarjee S, Barth BA, Bhat YM, Chauhan SS, Gottlieb KT, Maple JT, Murad FM, Pfau PR, Pleskow DK, Siddiqui UD, Tokar JL, Wang A, Rodriguez SA. “Enhanced imaging in the GI tract: spectroscopy and optical coherence tomography.” ASGE Technology Committee. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2013 Oct; 78(4):568-73. PMID 24054739.
- Tokar JL, Walia R. “Diagnostic evaluation of solid pancreatic masses.” Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2013 Oct;15(10):347. PMID 23996593.
- Prasad Kerlin M, Tokar JL. “Acute gastrointestinal bleeding.” Ann Intern Med 2013 Aug 6;159(3):ITC2-1. PMID 23922080.
- Tokar JL, Barth BA, Banerjee S, Chauhan SS, Gottlieb KT, Konda V, Maple JT, Murad FM, Pfau PR, Pleskow DK, Siddiqui UD, , Wang A, Rodriguez SA. ASGE Technology Committee. “Electrosurgical generators.” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2013 Aug;78(2):197-208. PMID 23867369.
- Verrengia MA and Tokar JL. ‘Post-colonoscopy Decision Making: The Guidelines and Beyond.’ In: Core Concepts in Colonoscopy. Slack, Inc. 2013. [Book Chapter]
- Tokar JL. Chapter 14: ‘The Future of Self-Expanding Stents in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy”. In: Self-Expanding Stents in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Douglas G. Adler (Editor). Slack, Inc. 2012; pp 219-234. ISBN 978-1-61711-028-3. [Book Chapter]
- Endoscopic Management of Small Bowel Bleeding and Tumors. Techniques in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2012. Guest Editor for Series: Jeffrey L. Tokar, MD. Editor-in-Chief: Michael Kochman, MD. Volume 14, Issue 2, Pages 81-128 (April 2012). Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Inc.
- Siddiqui AA, Chaaya A, Shelton C, Marmion J, Kowalski TE, Loren DE, Heller SJ, Haluszka O, Adler DG, Tokar JL. Utility of the short double-balloon enteroscope to perform pancreaticobiliary interventions in patients with surgically altered anatomy in a US multicenter study. Dig Dis Sci. 2012 Sept 14.
- Baron TH, Song LM, Ross A, Tokar JL, Irani S, Kozarek RA. Use of an over-the-scope clipping device: multicenter retrospective results of the first U.S. experience (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Jul;76(1):202-8.
- Hegde S, Haluszka O, Tokar JL. “The Role of Endoscopic Ultrasound in Gastric Cancer” in Endoscopic Ultrasound [Hardcover]. Shami VM and Kahaleh M, ed. Humana Press, 1st Edition. 2010. Page 227-247. [Book Chapter]