Charu Sharma, MD, MS
Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program
239 Hurffville Crosskeys Road,
Sewell, NJ 08080
Video: Charu Sharma, MD, MS
Virtua, Washington Township
General Radiation Oncology with Emphasis in Breast Cancer Radiation Treatment
My name is Dr. Charu Sharma, and I am a Fox Chase radiation oncologist working at the Virtua Washington Township facility.
My personal philosophy regarding patient care is to treat all my patients like they are family. I believe that effective communication between the physician and patient is of utmost importance. I believe it is my responsibility as a physician to relay my treatment recommendations in a clear manner and provide ample opportunity for questions.
I practice evidence based medicine by reading the most current publications in the field of radiation oncology and by following national guidelines. Furthermore, I participate in conferences with Fox Chase and Virtua physicians in which we discuss optimal treatment recommendations and radiation techniques for patients.
It is an honor for me to work at the Virtua/Fox Chase Washington Township Cancer Center because it provides me the opportunity to bring the latest techniques and innovations in the field of radiation oncology to the community.
MD, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 2007
Chief Resident, Radiation Oncology, Columbia University-New York Presbyterian Hospital, 2013;
Radiation oncology resident, Columbia University Medical Center-New York Presbyterian Hospital 2009-2013
Breast Cancer Research
(1) Horowitz DP, Sharma CS, Connolly E, Gidea-Addeo D, Deutsch I. Secretory carcinoma of the breast: Results from the survival, epidemiology and end results database. Breast. 2012 Jun;21(3):350-3.
(2) Sharma C, Deutsch I, Horowitz DP, Hershman DL, Lewin SN, Lu YS, Neugut AI, Herzog TJ, Chao CK, Wright JD. Patterns of care and treatment outcomes for elderly women with cervical cancer. Cancer. 2011 Oct 28.
(3) Sharma C, Deutsch I, Lewin SN, Burke WM, Qiao Y, Sun X, Chao CK, Herzog TJ, Wright JD. Lymphadenectomy Influences the Utilization of Adjuvant Radiation Therapy in Early Stage Endometrial Cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Dec;205(6):562.e1-9.
a. Letter to the Editor: Basile S, Salerno MG, Benedetti Panici P. Lymphadenectomy in endometrial cancer: what's the right question? Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Feb 1.
(4) Sharma C, Horowitz D, Chabot J, Saif MW. Adjuvant Therapy of Pancreatic Cancer. Highlights from the "2011 ASCO Annual Meeting". Chicago, IL, USA; June 3-7, 2011. Journal of Pancreas (JOP). 2011 Jul 8;12(4):343.
(5) Sharma C, Harris L, Haffty BG, Yang Q, Moran MS. Does compliance with radiation therapy differ in African-American patients with early-stage breast cancer? Breast Journal. 2010 Mar-Apr;16(2):193-6.
(1) Charu Sharma, Preeti Parhar, Suraj Rambhia, Ase Ballangrud, Alice Ho, Beryl McCormick, Simon Powell. Dosimetric Survey of Different Post-Mastectomy Radiation Techniques. Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the 54th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Radiation Oncology, 2012
(2) Charu Sharma, Israel Deutsch, KS Clifford Chao, Thomas J. Herzog, Sharyn N. Lewin,Yuexun Lu, Xuming Sun, and Jason D. Wright. Patterns of Care in Locally Advanced Vulvar Cancer. Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the 54th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Radiation Oncology, 2012.
(3) Sharma C, Deutsch I, Lewin SN, Burke WM, Qiao Y, Sun X, Chao CK, Herzog TJ, Wright JD. Lymphadenectomy Influences the Utilization of Adjuvant Radiation Therapy in Early Stage Endometrial Cancer. Abstract accepted for poster discussion at the 53rd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Radiation Oncology, 2011.
(4) DP Horowitz, C Sharma, Q Ling, S Lee, RJ Burri, C Chao, I Deutsch. A Population-Based Study of the Effect of Different Radiation Modalities in the Treatment of Poorly Differentiated Prostate Adenocarcinoma. Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the 53rd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Radiation Oncology, 2011.
(5) Ryan J. Burri, Jack Kessel, David Horowitz, Charu Sharma, K.S. Clifford Chao. Impact of radiation therapy on survival in surgically managed stage II and III esophageal cancer: A SEER database analysis. Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the 53rd Annual Meeting of the American Society of Radiation Oncology, 2011.
(6) David P. Horowitz, Charu S. Sharma, Daniela Gidea-Addeo, Ryan J. Burri, Israel Deutsch. Secretory Carcinoma of the Breast: Results from the Survival, Epidemiology and End Results Database. Accepted for presentation at the ASCO Breast Cancer Symposium, 2011.