Richard J. Bleicher, MD, FACS
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Follow on Twitter: @RichardBleicher
Video: Richard J. Bleicher, MD, FACS
- Doreen Benedict - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Joseph Buglak - Skin Cancer Patient Stories
- Darlene Collins - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Stage 0 Breast Cancer (DCIS) Patient Stories
- Rosalie Fox - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Colon Cancer Patient Stories
- Linda Gottlieb - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Connie Jackley - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Colon Cancer Patient Stories, Gynecologic Malignancies Patient Stories, Pancreatic Cancer Patient Stories
- Carlette Knox - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Patient Stories
- Laura Marblestone - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Kathleen Marchek - Anorectal Cancer Patient Stories, Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Rosella Nelson - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Denise Portner - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Diana Robinson - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories, Stage 0 Breast Cancer (DCIS) Patient Stories
- Kathy Rozanski - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Tijuana Smith - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories
- Lael Swank - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Clinical-Trials Patient Stories
- Roseann Tice - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Margaret Zuccotti - Inflammatory Breast Cancer Patient Stories
(Feb 11, 2013)
Co-Leader, Breast Cancer Treatment
Director, Breast Fellowship Program
Associate Professor, Surgical Oncology
Meet other members of the
breast cancer treatment team.
American Board of Surgery
I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Surgical Oncology where I have been a breast surgeon since 2006. I am a board-certified, fellowship-trained surgical oncologist, whose practice is dedicated completely to breast care. My areas of expertise include breast-conserving surgery, skin-sparing mastectomy and sentinel lymph-node biopsy, all with an emphasis on not just successful treatment, but also preserving a good cosmetic outcome.
I am acutely aware of the impact that a breast cancer diagnosis has on an individual. I do my best to foster a positive environment in which to start my patients' course of treatment and take the time to explain the pros and cons of each treatment option, so that they can make an informed decision.
Currently, I serve as the Director of the Fox Chase Cancer Center Breast Fellowship, one of a small number of accredited training programs around the country that teaches general surgeons to do breast surgery as a subspecialty. Additionally, I sit on several national committees, including those of the Society of Surgical Oncology, the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, and the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. During my fellowship, I was the first chief administrative surgical oncology fellow – an honor the program director now bestows annually. I have also received several awards, including the Adams County 2009 Breast Cancer Researcher of the Year Award.
I also believe that to treat patients better, we need to advance our knowledge about breast cancer. Cutting-edge treatment requires doing cutting-edge research which, in addition to clinical trials, includes substantive clinical research that is practical, to help both women and men who develop the disease. I have presented and published research on the refinement of surgical technique for breast cancer, investigating the burden of multiple visits to evaluate a patient’s breast cancer, predicting delays in breast cancer evaluation, the appropriate use of imaging for breast cancer, male breast cancer, and disparities research in breast cancer, among others.
Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
FellowshipsBasic Science Research Fellowship, Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh;
Surgical Oncology, John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, Calif.
Honors and Awards
Best Doctors in America®, Best Doctors Inc., 2014
American College of Surgeons;
American Society of Clinical Oncology;
American Radium Society;
American College of Surgeons Oncology Group;
The American Society of Breast Surgeons;
Association for Academic Surgery Radiation Therapy Oncology Group;
International Sentinel Node Society;
National Comprehensive Cancer Network;
The Society of Surgical Oncology
Sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer; Novel treatment modalities for breast cancer; Breast cancer clinical trials; Breast imaging and cancer outcomes, Disparities in breast cancer, Health services research, Male and female breast cancer