Nausheen Jamal, MD
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497
Video: Nausheen Jamal, MD
Department of Surgical Oncology,
Center for Voice and Swallowing
Assistant Professor, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery,
Temple University School of Medicine
Meet other members of the
Laryngology, Voice and Swallowing Disorders
American Board of Otolaryngology
I am a Laryngologist, which means that I specialize in voice and swallowing disorders. We rely on our voice box to communicate with the world around us, but it plays an important role in how well we swallow as well. Difficulties with voice and swallow are important because they drastically impact our quality of life.
I came to Fox Chase because of this institution’s focus on the patient as a human being. In addition to curing a patient’s cancer, we want to address other related aspects of a person’s disease and treatment regimen that can affect one’s quality of life. The way we speak and eat is an important aspect of how well we are able to enjoy our lives and socialize with family and friends. My goal is to help you maintain – or improve – the pleasure of these activities.
Of course, hoarseness and swallowing problems can affect anyone, not just cancer patients. The Voice and Swallow Center here at Fox Chase is made up of myself and a team of outstanding Speech and Language Pathologists. Our purpose is to help you with your voice and swallow problems, whoever you are. Together, we will put together a comprehensive treatment plan that will address your voice and swallowing issues using the latest medical, surgical, and technological advancements.
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2006
Otorhinolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals, Bronx, NY, 2011
Laryngology, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2013
Honors and Awards
Albert Einstein College of Medicine 2009: Graduation Residency Research Presentation Award: “Pediatric Endoscopic Airway Stenting without Fluoroscopy”
2010: 3rd Place for Podium Presentation entitled: “Signal transduction modifications found in normal laryngeal cells of recurrent respiratory papilloma patients.” Presented at the 5th Annual NYC Metropolitan Resident Research Day Symposium
2011: Graduation Residency Research Presentation Award: “Signal transduction modifications found in normal laryngeal cells of RRP patients”
American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
Pennsylvania Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
American Broncho-Esophagological Association (pending post-graduate member)
American Laryngological Association (pending post-graduate member)
Vocal fold paralysis and paresis
Vocal nodules, polyps, cysts
Trans-oral laser microsurgery
- Yang J, Fizazi K, Peleg S, Sikes CR, Raymond AK, Jamal N, Hu M, Olive M, Martinez LA, Wood CG, Logothetis CJ, Karsenty G, Navone NM. Prostate Cancer Cells Induce Osteoblast Differentiation through a Cbfa1-dependent Pathway. Cancer Res. 2001;61(14):5652-9.
- Jamal N, Vicencio A, Bent JP. A Neurologic Etiology for Tracheomalacia? Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;73(6):885-7.
- Jamal N, Ahmed S, Miller T, Bent J, Brook A, Parikh SR, Ankola A. Doxycycline Sclerotherapy for Pediatric Head and Neck Macrocystic Lymphatic Malformations: A Case Series and Review of the Literature. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012;76(8):1127-31.
- Jamal N, Chowdhury F, Gupta R, Sataloff RT. Suraglottoplasty for airway obstruction. Ear Nose Throat J. 2013;92(6):244-6.
- Chhetri DK, Neubauer J, Bergeron JL, Sofer E, Peng KA, Jamal N. Effects of superior laryngeal nerve asymmetry on laryngeal posture, acoustics, and vibration. Laryngoscope. 2013;123(12):3110-6.
- Jamal N, Sofer E, Chhetri DK. Treatment considerations for early glottic carcinoma: lessons learned and a primer for the general otolaryngologist. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014;150(2):169-73.
- Jamal N, Erman A, Chhetri DK. Trans-oral partial epiglottidectomy to treat dysphagia in post-treatment head and neck cancer patients. Laryngoscope. 2014:124(3):665-71.
- Chhetri DK, Jamal N. Percutaneous injection laryngoplasty. Laryngoscope. 2014:124(3):742-5.
- Jamal N, Mundi J, Chhetri DK. Higher risk of superficial injection during injection laryngoplasty in women. Am J Otolaryngol. 2014;35(2):159-163.
- Vorasubin N, Vira D, Jamal N, Chhetri DK. Airway management and endoscopic treatment of subglottic and tracheal stenosis: the laryngeal mask airway technique. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2014;123(4):293- 298.
- Bergeron JL, Jamal N, Erman A, Chhetri DK. Office-based tracheoesophageal puncture: updates in techniques and outcomes. Accepted for publication by American Journal of Otolaryngology - April 2014.