Sameer A Patel, MD, FACS
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Follow on Twitter: @FCCCSurgOnc
Video: Sameer Patel, MD, FACS
Top Doctors 2012
Rising Star Under 40
- Edward Bandtlow - Kidney Cancer Patient Stories, Skin Cancer Patient Stories, Squamous Cell Cancer Patient Stories
- Pamela Cerceo - Prophylactic Mastectomy Patient Stories
- Carlette Knox - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Patient Stories
- Audrey Lam - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Kathy Petrozelli - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories
- Kathy Rozanski - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Lynn Schoepske - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories
- Ruth Sklar - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories
- Tijuana Smith - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories
- Jane Tervooren - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Patient Stories
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Reconstructive Microsurgery; Breast Reconstruction, including Free Tissue Transfer (TRAM, Muscle-Sparing TRAM, DIEP, Latissimus Dorsi) Flaps; Head and Neck Reconstruction; Extremity Reconstruction; Complex Abdominal Wall Reconstruction; Complex Chest Wall Reconstruction; Melanoma and Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer Reconstruction; Perineal Reconstruction; Soft Tissue Sarcoma Reconstruction
American Board of Surgery;
American Board of Plastic Surgery
I came to Fox Chase Cancer Center in 2007 after completing my fellowship in microsurgical reconstruction. Since deciding to enter the field of plastic surgery, I knew I wanted to specialize in reconstruction. I chose this specialty to improve quality of life for patients by helping to restore appearance and function after cancer treatment.
I was attracted to Fox Chase because of the access to resources in caring for surgical patients with cancer. In my practice, I see people who have been diagnosed with various cancers, including breast, head and neck, melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer. Often, my patients may require speech therapy, support services and treatments such as radiation therapy or chemotherapy in addition to surgery. Fox Chase's multispecialty approach and status as a comprehensive cancer center gives these patients integrated care to meet all their needs.
My patients often have many questions. Their concerns range from choosing the best surgical option to pain management and recovery time. It is important to me to spend as much time as needed during my consultations with each person. From this first meeting through recovery, my goal is to provide the best care possible and to ensure my patients know and understand what to expect.
In addition to performing surgery, I study surgical outcomes of head and neck cancer patients to find new ways of maximizing function and improving appearance, including the use of advanced computer aided patient specific surgical planning techniques. I also gather research data on breast reconstruction procedures to determine which options may be best for different types of patients.
New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ, 1998
General Surgery, and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
Microsurgical Reconstruction, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery (ASRM);
IVY Society of Pennsylvania
Breast reconstruction; Head and neck