Marc C. Smaldone, MD, MSHP
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497
Follow on Twitter: @FCUroOnc
Video: Marc Smaldone, MD
- Abu-Methuselah Bradley - General Sarcoma Patient Stories
- Joseph Dequinque - Colon Cancer Patient Stories, Bladder Cancer Patient Stories, Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
- Michael Laurenzi - Kidney Cancer Patient Stories, Pancreatic Cancer Patient Stories
- Chuck Leonard - Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
- Sister Marcille McEntee - Ureter Cancer Patient Stories, Skin Cancer Patient Stories
- William O'Brien - Bladder Cancer Patient Stories
- Andrew Steinmetz - Testicular Cancer Patient Stories
- Charles Still - Surgical Treatment for Prostate Cancer Patient Stories, Prostate Cancer Patient Stories
- James Tetzlaff - Clinical-Trials Patient Stories, Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
- Donald Wulff - Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
Kidney Cancer, Bladder Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureteral Cancer, Adrenal Cancer, Penile Cancer, Urethral Cancer, Robotic and Laparoscopic Minimally Invasive Surgery, Continent Urinary Diversion, Salvage and Reconstructive Surgery
American Board of Urology
I am a urologic oncologist specializing in the surgical management of tumors of the kidney, bladder, prostate, adrenal, testis, and other genitourinary organs. As part of the multi-disciplinary Genitourinary Cancer Patient Care Team, I work closely with my colleagues in Medical and Radiation Oncology to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that offers the best chance for cure for each patient.
The mission at the Fox Chase Cancer Center is to deliver world class oncologic care in the most compassionate and respectful way possible. A cancer diagnosis brings fear and uncertainty for patients and their families, and my personal philosophy is to treat patients how I would wish for my family members to be treated. Patient education is essential, and I consider it of utmost importance to take the time necessary for patients to understand and feel comfortable with all possible treatment options to inspire confident decision making.
I have expertise in open, laparoscopic, and robotic surgical techniques, which allows me to tailor a specific treatment plan based on individual patient need and preferences. I have particular expertise in minimally invasive organ preserving and reconstructive techniques to preserve function and quality of life, including nerve-sparing prostatectomy for patients with prostate cancer and partial nephrectomy for patients with kidney cancer. I have experience performing both robotic and open cystectomy for patients with bladder cancer, and prefer to construct continent urinary diversions whenever possible. I have a clinical interest in the surgical management of patients with high risk and advanced disease, and have experience performing retroperitoneal lymph node dissection following chemotherapy in patients with testicular cancer, cytoreductive nephrectomy and thrombectomy for patients with metastatic kidney cancer or tumors extending into the vena cava, and salvage surgery following radiation for patients with bladder or prostate cancer.
Professionally, my research interests focus on assessing and improving the quality and delivery of healthcare for oncology patients. I have used large national databases to study treatment outcomes in men with prostate, bladder, and kidney cancer, and have pursued additional training to better understand how well designed research can inform health policy. The tremendous resources available at the Fox Chase Cancer Center provide the opportunity to actively contribute to the medical literature, participate in cutting edge clinical trials, and develop new therapies to consistently improve cancer care.
Master of Science in Health Policy Research, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2013;
MD, State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York, 2004
Urologic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
Urologic Oncology (Society of Urologic Oncology accredited), Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA
American Urological Association;
Society of Urologic Oncology
Quality of Care; Comparative Effectiveness, Risk Assessment; Access Disparities; Surgical Outcomes; Health Services Research
PublicationsDr. Smaldone on My NCBI
- Smaldone, M.C., Corcoran, A.T., Hayn M.H., Konety, B.R., Hrebinko Jr., R.L., Davies, B.J. (2009). Estimation of mortality and morbidity risk in patients undergoing radical cystectomy with continent diversion using the POSSUM and Portsmouth POSSUM predictor equations. J Urol,182(6): 2619-24.
- Smaldone, M.C., Cowan, J., Carroll, P.R., Davies, B.J. (2010). Comparison of eligibility for active surveillance and pathologic outcomes in men undergoing radical prostatectomy in a large community-based cohort. J Urol,183(1):138-43.
- Kutikov, A., Smaldone, M.C., Egleston, B.L., Manley, B.J., Simhan, J., Boorjian, S.A., Viterbo, R., Chen, D.Y., Greenberg, R.E., Uzzo, R.G. (2011). Anatomic features of enhancing renal masses predict malignant and high-grade pathology: a preoperative nomogram using the RENAL Nephromety Score. Eur Urol, 60(2): 241-8.
- Smaldone, M.C., Kutikov, A., Egleston, B., Simhan, J., Canter, D.J., Teper, E., Viterbo, R., Chen, D.Y., Greenberg, R.E., Uzzo, R.G. (2012). Assessing performance trends in laparoscopic nephrectomy and nephron sparing surgery for localized renal tumors. Urology, 80(2): 286-92.
- Smaldone, M.C., Kutikov, A., Egleston, B.L., Canter, D.J., Viterbo, R., Chen, D.Y., Jewett, M.A., Greenberg, R.E., Uzzo, R.G. (2012). Small renal masses progressing to metastases under active surveillance: a systematic review and pooled analysis. Cancer, 118(4):997-1006.
- Smaldone, M.C., Egleston, B.L., Uzzo, R.G., Kutikov, A. (2012). Does partial nephrectomy result in a durable overall survival benefit in the Medicare population? J Urol 188(6): 2089-94.
- Kutikov, A., Egleston, B.L., Canter, D., Smaldone, M.C., Wong, Y.N., Uzzo, R.G. (2012). Competing risks of death in patients with localized renal cell carcinoma: a comorbidity based model. J Urol, 188(6): 2077-83.
- Smaldone, M.C., Simhan, J., Kutikov, A., Canter, D.J., Starkey, R., Zhu, F., Nielsen, M.E., Stitzenberg, K.B., Greenberg, R.E., Uzzo, R.G. (2013) Trends in regionalization of radical cystectomy in three large northeastern states from 1996 to 2009. Urol Oncol, 31(8): 1663-9.
- Tomaszewski, J.J., Uzzo, R.G., Handorf, E.A., Bekelman, J.E., Corcoran, A.T., Kutikov, A., Mehrazin, R., Smaldone, M.C. (2014) Care transitions between hospitals are associated with treatment delays for patients with muscle invasive bladder cancer. J Urol, 192(5): 1349-54.
- Kim, S.P, Gross, C.P., Nguyen, P.L., Smaldone, M.C., Shah, N.D., Karnes, R.J., Thompson, R.H., Hand, L.C., Yu, J.B., Trinh, Q.D., Ziegenfuss, J.Y., Sun, M., Tilburt, J.C. (2014) Perceptions of active surveillance and treatment recommendations for low-risk prostate cancer: Results from a national survey of radiation oncologists and urologists. Med Care, 52(7):579-85.
- Martin, J.M., Handorf, E.A., Kutikov, A., Uzzo, R.G., Bekelman, J.E., Horwitz, E.M., Smaldone, M.C. (2014) The rise and fall of prostate brachytherapy: Use of brachytherapy in the treatment of localized prostate cancer in the National Cancer Database. Cancer, 120(14):2114-21.
- Corcoran, A.T., Handorf, E, Canter, D, Tomaszewski, J.J., Bekelman, J.E., Kim, S.P., Uzzo, R.G., Kutikov. A, Smaldone, M.C. (2015) Variation in performance of candidate surgical quality measures for muscle invasive bladder cancer by hospital type. BJU Int, 115(2):230-7.
- Wang, E.H., Gross, C.P., Tilburt, J.C., Yu, J.B., Nguyen, P.L., Smaldone, M.C., Shah, N.D., Abouassally, R., Sun, M., Kim, S.P. Shared decision making and use of decision AIDS for localized prostate cancer: perceptions from radiation oncologists and urologists. (2015) JAMA Intern Med, 175(5):792-9.
- Smaldone, M.C., Handorf, E., Kim, S.P., Thompson, R.H., Costello, B.A., Corcoran, A.T., Wong, Y.N., Uzzo, R.G, Leibovich, B.C., Kutikov, A., Boorjian, S.A. (2015). Temporal trends and factors associated with systemic therapy after cytoreductive nephrectomy: an analysis of the National Cancer Database. J Urol 193(4):1108-13.
- Kalbasi, A., Li, J., Berman, A., Swisher-McClure, S., Smaldone, M.C., Uzzo, R.G., Small, D.S., Mitra, N., Bekelman, J.E. (2015) Dose-escalated irradiation and overall survival in men with nonmetastatic prostate cancer. JAMA Oncol, (in press)