Carolyn Y. Fang, PhD
Office Phone: 215-728-4062
Office: 4th Floor, Young Pavilion
2000 - Present
- Tseng M, Byrne C, Kurzer MS, Fang CY. Equol-producing status is associated with and modifies the association of isoflavones with breast density. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, in press.
- Fang CY, Egleston BL, Ridge JA, Lango MN, Bovbjerg DH, Studts JL, Burtness BA, Einarson MB, Klein-Szanto AJ. Psychosocial functioning and vascular endothelial growth factor in patients with head and neck cancer. Head & Neck, in press.
- Fang CY, Egleston BL, Manzur AM, Townsend RR, Stanczyk FZ, Spiegel D, Dorgan JF. Psychological reactivity to laboratory stress is associated with hormonal responses in postmenopausal women. The Journal of International Medical Research, in press.
- Ma GX, Fang CY, Wang MQ, Shive SE, Ma XS. Pathways of breast cancer screening among Chinese American women. Journal of Community Medicine & Health Education, 3:209, 2013. doi: 10.4172/2161-0711.1000209
- Ma GX, Gao W, Fang CY, Tan Y, Feng Z, Ge S, Nguyen JA. Health Belief Model and the impact on cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese Americans. Journal of Women’s Health, 22(3): 276-288, 2013.
- Lee S, Chen L, Ma GX, Fang CY, Oh Y, Scully L. Challenges and needs of Chinese and Korean American breast cancer survivors: in-depth interviews. North American Journal of Medicine and Science, 6(1):1-8, 2013.
- Fang CY, Egleston BL, Gabriel KP, Stevens VJ, Kwiterovich PO, Snetselaar LG, Longacre ML, Dorgan JF. (2013). Depressive symptoms and serum lipid levels in young adult women. J. Behav.Med. 36(2):143-52, 2013. PMC3376669.
- Ma GX, Fang CY, Feng Z, Tan Y, Gao W, Ge S, Nguyen C. (2012). Correlates of cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese American women. Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vol. 2012. PMC3449126
- Kim HJ, Barsevick AM, Fang CY, Miaskowski C. (2012). Common biological pathways underlying the psychoneurological symptom cluster in cancer patients. Cancer Nursing, 35(6):E1-E20.
- Fang CY, Longacre ML, Manne SL, Ridge JA, Lango MN, Burtness BA. Informational needs of head and neck cancer patients. Health and Technology, 2(1);57-62, 2012. PMC3327509
- Heckman CJ, Fang CY, Jayo I. Health Behaviors Associated with HPV Vaccination among Adolescents. Journal of Primary Care and Community Health, 3:170-173, 2012. PMC in process
- Lee S, Chen L, Ma GX, Fang CY. What is lacking in patient-physician communication: Perspectives from Asian American breast cancer patients and oncologists. Journal of Behavioral Health, 1(2):102-109, 2012. NIHMS#386159
- Tseng M, Fang CY. (2012). Socioeconomic position and lower diet moderation among Chinese immigrant women in the US. Public Health Nutrition, 15(3): 415-23. PMC3340423
- Ma GX, Yin LH, Gao W, Tan Y, Liu R, Fang C, Ma X. Workplace-based breast cancer screening intervention in China. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 21(2):358-67, 2012. PMC in process
- Longacre ML, Ridge JA, Burtness BA, Galloway TJ, Fang CY. (2012). Psychosocial functioning of caregivers for head and neck cancer patients. Oral Oncology, 48, 18-25. PMC3357183
- Fang CY, MA GX, Tan Y. Overcoming barriers to cervical cancer screening among Asian American women. North American Journal of Medicine and Science. 2011;4(2):77-83.
- Tseng M, Fang CY. (2011). Stress is associated with unfavorable patterns of dietary intake among female Chinese immigrants. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 41, 324-332. PMC3098912
- Dorgan JF, Liu L, Klifa C, Hylton N, Shepherd JA, Stanczyk FZ, Snetselaar LG, Van Horn L, Stevens VJ, Robson A, Kwiterovich PO Jr, Lasser NL, Himes JH, Pettee Gabriel K, Kriska A, Ruder EH, Fang CY, Barton BA. Adolescent diet and subsequent serum hormones, breast density and bone mineral density in young women: Results of the Dietary Intervention Study in Children (DISC) follow-up study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Jun;19(6):1545-56. Epub 2010 May 25. PMC2883023
- Fang CY, Reibel DK, Longacre ML, Rosenzweig S, Campbell DE Douglas SD. Enhanced psychosocial well-being following participation in a mindfulness-based stress reduction program is associated with increased natural killer cell activity. J Altern Complement Med. 2010 May;16(5):531-8. PMC2921566.
- Wang X, Fang C, Tan Y, Liu A, Ma GX. Evidence-based intervention to reduce access barriers to cervical cancer screening among underserved Chinese American women. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2010 Mar;19(3):463-9. PMC2867551
- Fang CY, Coups EJ, Heckman CJ. Behavioral correlates of HPV vaccine acceptability in the 2007 Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS). Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Feb;19(2):319-26. PMC2820128.
- Fang CY, Cherry C, Devarajan K, Li T, Malick J, Daly MB. A prospective study of quality of life among women undergoing risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy versus gynecologic screening for ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology. 2009;112:594-600.
- Fang CY, Egleston BL, Brown KM, et al. Family cohesion moderates the relation between free testosterone and delinquent behaviors in adolescent boys and girls. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2009;44:590-7.
- Ma GX, Zhi JX, Shive SE, Fang CY, Wang MQ. Structural equation modeling analysis associated with breast cancer screening among Chinese American women. International Journal of Women's Health.
- Tseng M, Olufade T, Kurzer MS, Wahala K, Fang CY, van der Schouw Y, Daly MB.. Food frequency questionnaires and overnight urines are valid indicators of daidzein and genistein intake in U.S. women relative to multiple 24-h urine samples. Nutrition and Cancer. 2008;60:619-26.
- Fang CY, Miller SM, Bovbjerg DH, et al. Perceived stress is associated with impaired T-cell response to HPV16 in women with cervical dysplasia. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2008;35:87-96. PMCID: 2396791
- Fang CY, Ma GX, Tan Y, Chi N. A multifaceted intervention to increase cervical cancer screening among underserved Korean women. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention. 2007;16:1298-302.
- Ma GX, Shive SE, Fang CY, et al. Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of hepatitis B screening and vaccination and liver cancer risks among Vietnamese Americans. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2007;18:62-73.
- Ma GX, Fang CY, Shive SE, Toubbeh J, Tan Y, Siu P. Risk perceptions and barriers to Hepatitis B screening and vaccination among Vietnamese immigrants. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health / Center for Minority Public Health. 2007;9:213-20.
- Fang CY. Mind and body modalities. In: Micozzi M, ed. Complementary and integrative medicine in cancer care and prevention: Foundations and evidence-based interventions. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company; 2007: pp.37-63.
- Ma GX, Tan Y, Fang CY. Passive smoke and its effects on Asian Americans. In: Jeorgensen NA, ed. Passive smoking and health research. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers; 2006:pp.297-310.
- Fang CY, Ma GX, Miller SM, Tan Y, Su X, Shive S. A brief smoking cessation intervention for Chinese and Korean American smokers. Preventive Medicine. 2006;43:321-4.
- Ma GX, Tan Y, Toubbeh JI, Edwards RL, Shive SE, Siu P, Wang P. & Fang CY. Asian tobacco education and cancer awareness research special population network. A model for reducing Asian American cancer health disparities. Cancer. 2006;107:1995-2005.
- Fang CY, Daly MB, Miller SM, Zerr T, Malick J, Engstrom P. Coping with ovarian cancer risk: the moderating effects of perceived control on coping and adjustment. British Journal of Health Psychology. 2006;11:561-80.
- Ma GX, Fang CY, Knauer CA, Tan Y, Shive SE. Tobacco dependence, risk perceptions and self-efficacy among Korean American smokers. Addictive Behaviors. 2006;31:1776-84.
- Fang CY, McKenzie TL, Miller SM, Daly MB. Psychosocial factors that influence decision making about prophylactic surgery. Psicooncolog�a: Special Monograph on Hereditary Cancer. 2005;2:329-46.
- Fang CY, Tseng M, Daly MB. Correlates of soy food consumption in women at increased risk for breast cancer. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2005;105:1552-8.
- Ma GX, Tan Y, Fang CY, Toubbeh JI, Shive SE. Knowledge, attitudes and behavior regarding secondhand smoke among Asian Americans. Preventive Medicine. 2005;41:446-53.
- Ma GX, Shive SE, Tan Y, Toubbeh JI, Fang CY, Edwards RL. Tobacco use, secondhand smoke exposure and their related knowledge, attitudes and behaviors among Asian Americans. Addictive Behaviors. 2005;30:725-40.
- Ma GX, Fang CY, Shive S, et al. A culturally enhanced smoking cessation study among Chinese and Korean smokers. The International Electronic Journal of Health Education. 2005;8:1-10.
- Schnoll RA, Fang CY, Manne SL. The application of structural equation modeling to behavioral research in oncology: Past accomplishments and future opportunities. Structural Equation Modeling. 2004;11:583-611.
- Miller SM, Bowen DJ, Campbell MK, Diefenbach MA, Gritz E, Jacobsen P, Stefanek M, Fang CY, et al. Current research promises and challenges in behavioral oncology: report from the American Society of Preventive Oncology annual meeting, 2002. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. 2004;13:171-80.
- Ma GX, Fang CY, Tan Y, Feeley RM. Perceptions of risks of smoking among Asian Americans. Preventive Medicine. 2003;37:349-55.
- Tseng M, Fang CY. Screening mammography in Asian American women. American Journal of Public Health. 2003;93:1378.
- Fang CY, Miller SM, Mills M, et al. The effects of avoidance on cytotoxic/suppressor T cells in women with cervical lesions. Psychooncology. 2003;12:590-8.
- Fang CY, Miller SM, Malick J, Babb J, Engstrom PF, Daly MB. Psychosocial correlates of intention to undergo prophylactic oophorectomy among women with a family history of ovarian cancer. Preventive Medicine. 2003;37:424-31.
- Fang CY, Schnoll RA. Impact of psychological distress on outcomes in cancer patients. Expert Rev Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research. 2002;2:495-506.
- Fang CY, Miller SM, Daly MB, Hurley K. The influence of attentional style and risk perceptions on intentions to undergo prophylactic oophorectomy among first-degree relatives. Psychology and Health. 2002;17:356-76.
- Fang CY, Manne SL, Pape SJ. Functional impairment, marital quality, and patient psychological distress as predictors of psychological distress among cancer patients' spouses. Health Psychology. 2001;20:452-7.
- Fang CY, Myers HF. The effects of racial stressors and hostility on cardiovascular reactivity in African American and Caucasian men. Health Psychology. 2001;20:64-70.
- Miller SM, Fang CY, Diefenbach M, Bales CB. Tailoring psychosocial interventions to the individual's health information processing style: The influence of monitoring versus blunting in cancer risk and disease. In: Baum A, Andersen BL, eds. Psychosocial interventions for cancer. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 2001:pp.343-62.
1990 - 1999
- Miller SM, Fang CY, Manne SL, Engstrom PF, Daly MB. Decision making about prophylactic oophorectomy among at-risk women: psychological influences and implications. Gynecologic Oncology. 1999;75:406-12.
- Fang CY, Sidanius J, Pratto F. Romance across the social status continuum: Interracial marriage and the ideological asymmetry effect. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 1998;29:290-305.
- Fang CY, Dunkel-Schetter C, Tatsugawa ZH, et al. Attitudes toward genetic carrier screening for cystic fibrosis among pregnant women: The role of health beliefs and avoidant coping style. Women's Health: Research on Gender, Behavior, and Policy. 1997;3:31-51.
- Grody WW, Dunkel-Schetter C, Tatsugawa ZH, Fox MA, Fang CY, Novak JM, Cantor R, Bass HN, & Crandall BF. PCR-based screening for cystic fibrosis carrier mutations in an ethnically diverse pregnant population. American Journal of Human Genetics. 1997;60:935-47.
- Fang CY, Dunkel-Schetter C, Fox MA, Tatsugawa ZH. Understanding screening decisions: The health belief model. Perspectives in Genetic Counseling. 1995;17:1-7.
- Tatsugawa ZH, Fox MA, Fang CY, Novak JM, Cantor RM, Bass HN, Dunkel-Schetter C, Crandall BF & Grody WW. Education and testing strategy for large-scale cystic fibrosis carrier screening. Journal of Genetic Counseling. 1994;3:279-89.