Carolyn J. Heckman, PhD
Office Phone: 215-214-3962
Office: Young Pavilion, Room 4163
Dr. Heckman's research program goals are to develop, evaluate, and disseminate innovative interventions to improve cancer risk and risk-reduction behaviors. Her current focus is on primary prevention of skin cancer, and a second interest area is tobacco cessation. Dr. Heckman is a licensed counseling psychologist and runs FCCC's employee and family tobacco cessation program (ASAP: the All Smoking Aside Program), she is also a staff member in the patient Tobacco Treatment Program (TTP).
Dr. Heckman has several projects funded by the NCI and ACS:
- NCI R01: A Tailored Internet Intervention for Skin Cancer Risk Reduction among Young Adults
- NCI R21 Project BRITE: Biopsychosocial Relationships in Indoor Tanning Experiences among young women
- NCI R03 Project INCITE: Identifying Novel Correlates of Indoor Tanning Experiences among young women
- Heckman CJ, Zhu F, Kloss JD, Manne SL, Collins B, Bass SB, & Lessin SL (in press). Process and outcomes of a skin protection intervention for young adults. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Heckman CJ, Darlow S*, Cohen-Filipic J, Kloss JD, Manne SL, Munshi T, Perlis, C. Psychosocial Correlates of Sunburn among Young Adult Women. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Special Issue – Sunbathing Habits and Skin Cancer. 2012; June;9(6):2241-2251.
- Heckman CJ, Fang, CY, Jayo, I. Health behaviors associated with HPV vaccination among adolescents. Journal of Primary Care and Community Health. 2012 July; 3(3):170 - 173. Epub 2012 Jan 6.
- Heckman CJ, Cohen-Filipic, J. Ultraviolet Radiation Exposure, Considering Acculturation Among Hispanics (Project URECAH). Journal of Cancer Education. 2012; June;27(1):342-346. Epub 2012 Jan 7. PubMed
- Heckman CJ, Dykstra JL*, Collins BN. Substance-related knowledge, attitude, and behavior among college students: Opportunities for health education. Health Education Journal. 2011 Dec; 70(4):383-99. NIHMS 211929. PubMed
- Coups EJ, Manne SL, Jacobsen PB, Ming ME, Heckman CJ, and Lessin SL. Skin surveillance intentions among family members of patients with melanoma. BMC Public Health. 2011 Nov;11:866. PMC3248224. PubMed
- Heckman CJ, Manne SL, Kloss JD, Bass SB, Collins BN, Lessin SR. Beliefs and intentions for skin protection and exposure. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2011 Nov;35(6):699-711. NIHMS 197846. PubMed
- Heckman CJ and Coups EJ. Correlates of sunscreen use among high school students: A cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health. 2011 Aug;11:679. PMID:21884577. PMCID: PMC3179453. PubMed
- Ingersoll KI, Farrell-Carnahan L, Cohen-Filipic J, Heckman CJ, Hettema J, Ceperich SD, Marzani-Nissen G (2011). A pilot randomized clinical trial of two medication adherence and drug use interventions for HIV+ crack cocaine users. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. Jul 1;116(1-3):177-87. Epub 2011 Feb 8. PubMed
- Manne SL, Coups EJ, Jacobsen P, Ming M, Heckman CJ, Lessin SR. Sun protection and sunbathing practices among at-risk family members of patients with melanoma. BMC Public Health. 2011 Feb 21;11:122. PubMed